KORE2404 Korean 4
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face Non-standard teaching period Hong Kong Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the Korean Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This is a continuing unit in the Korean language at an upper intermediate level, preceded by KORE2403 Korean 3. The unit aims to develop students' understanding of Korean culture and society to a level that enables effective use of Korean in everyday situations. It provides further consolidation and improvement of students' skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in Korean on a range of topics involving increased grammar and vocabulary. Learning and teaching methods involve the use of interactive classroom exercises, engaging with audiovisual materials and authentic materials. The unit enhances students' translingual and transcultural competence.
- Students are able to (1) converse in Korean on everyday topics and express their own views with an intermediate understanding of Korean grammar and phonology; (2) apply written Korean language skills to compose upper intermediate-level passages on social and abstract themes; (3) apply appropriate intermediate-level Korean language to selected cultural and social situations with ability to apply various relevant sociolinguistic registers; (4) further develop their research skills using Korean through reading basic material relating to current affairs using appropriate reference works, where necessary; (5) with some guidance, design, analyse and present results of an enquiry-based learning research project in the format of a multimedia research presentation; and (6) develop intermediate skills relevant to enquiry-based learning through comparative analysis of Korean language structure, in a contrastive mode with English, and through engaging with relevant resource materials (such as dictionaries and online resources) to solve problems of language form. Upon successful completion of this unit students achieve language proficiency equivalent to intermediate Level 2 on the TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) scale of proficiency.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) tests; (2) tutorial participation; and (3) an oral research presentation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Mrs Eun-ki Han (Crawley), Dr Nicola Fraschini (Hong Kong)
- Unit rules
- Contact hours
- lectures: 1 hour per week; Practical Classes: 1 x 2 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Non-standard teaching period [TS-QTR-A2_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.