KORE3406 Korean 6
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- This unit emphasises the application of students' language training to the study of Korean sources reflecting contemporary Korean society. The unit deals with authentic materials regarding current issues and changes in Korean society, and it helps the student relating the material content with their present life and their future career opportunities. Emphasis is also placed on building field-specific vocabulary and expressions knowledge across different media (print, television, internet, social networks), on understanding the use of different modalities of meaning delivery in Korean language and on extending's student research, presentation and discussion skills.
- Students are able to (1) read and comprehend different mediums of Korean texts and use writing skills for various purposes at an upper Level 3/lower Level 4 on the TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) scale of proficiency; (2) research, evaluate and analyse materials in the Korean language relevant to their research interests, as well as summarise them, drawing conclusions; (3) demonstrate an advanced ability to select appropriate language use in the context of their planned future career or research interests; (4) apply an advanced range of vocabulary and use of complex grammatical patterns as compared to outcomes achieved in KORE3405 Korean 5; (5) express their views on issues of importance in the context of their planned future career; and (6) conduct self-directed study or research, using Korean language materials online and offline, critically evaluating material from a variety of sources (written, oral or audiovisual) and by writing a research essay in Korean.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) tests (written and oral); (2) assignments; and (3) participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Nicola Fraschini
- Unit rules
- KORE3405 Korean 5
- Advisable prior study:
- KORE2811 Readings in Korean Language and Culture
- Contact hours
- workshops: 1 x 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.