LAWS4346 Supervised Research II Part 2
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This unit is taken over two semesters and both parts must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the unit. Students only enrol in the unit by invitation from the Faculty of Law. The unit requires the undertaking of a research project and the writing of a dissertation on a topic approved by the Honours Committee, subject to the following conditions: (1) there must be a clearly defined research project approved by the Honours Committee; (2) the student must have received an invitation to enrol in the unit; and (3) the Honours Committee must be satisfied that adequate supervision is available for the proposed research project. The Faculty of Law may award the degree of Bachelor of Laws with Honours to any student whose results in other graded units in the course, and whose results in this unit are of sufficient quality. It is recommended that students consult the Law School's Honours Brochure for full details of the requirements for the award of the degree of Bachelor of Laws with Honours. The Honours Committee appoints one examiner and one assessor who recommend to the Faculty of Law the appropriate grade for the dissertation in the normal manner. The date for submission of the dissertation is the first Friday in October of the year in which this unit is undertaken. The dissertation shall be no more than 12,000 words in length excluding footnotes, tables and appendices.
- Students are able to (1) formulate an appropriate research topic; (2) conduct relevant research into the topic; (3) synthesise the research; (4) write a 12,000-word dissertation on an approved topic; and (5) qualify for the award of Bachelor of Laws with Honours.
- The dissertation is assessed by an examiner and an assessor.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit because the Faculty has been granted an exemption.
- Unit rules
- invitation to enrol in this unit from the Honours Committee
Approved quota: as determined by the Faculty—as determined by the Faculty
- Contact hours
- as determined by the supervisor and unit coordinator
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2 [SEM-2 ]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.