LAWS5694 Research Paper I
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit provides the opportunity for students to undertake a research project of their choice in their postgraduate course. The research project must be supervised by an approved expert in the subject area concerned.
- Students are able to (1) formulate an appropriate research topic; (2) conduct relevant research into the topic; (3) synthesise the research; and (4) write a dissertation on the approved topic.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: research paper 8500 words. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Melanie O'Brien
- Contact hours
- This research unit involves unstructured contact with a supervisor throughout the semester.
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- This unit must be completed in one semester. Students can enrol in this unit in either Semester 1 or Semester 2 of any year. Enrolment in this unit depends on the availability of an appropriate supervisor.
The process is: (1) Student identifies a potential thesis topic, and then identifies a suitable supervisor with expertise in this area. Your supervisor will ideally be a Law School academic staff member. A full list of academic staff can be found here http://www.law.uwa.edu.au/contact/staff; (2) approach your proposed supervisor to discuss their availability to supervise and your proposed topic; (3) request the Supervisor Nomination Form from the Unit Co-ordinator, complete the 250-word abstract, and ask the supervisor who has agreed to supervise to complete the form; (3) Send the completed form to the Unit Coordinator via email (pay attention to the deadline), and meanwhile enrol in the unit online by yourself; (4) Once the above processes are completed, your online enrolment will still remain 'invalid' but the Law Support Office will enrol you manually into the unit. Please note, if you do not complete and return your Supervisor Nomination Form, you will not be enrolled in the unit and your enrolment will remain ‘invalid'.
THE DUE DATE FOR THIS PAPER IS THE FINAL DAY OF THE SEMESTER, THAT IS, 11.59PM ON THE FRIDAY BEFORE STUDY WEEK BEGINS.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.