MGMT1135 Organisational Behaviour
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 1||Albany||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the Management; Human Resource Management major sequences
- Level 1 complementary unit in the Accounting; Economics; Marketing; Professional Economics; Finance; Business Law major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Management and Commerce
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 elective
- This unit provides an understanding of individual and group behaviour in organisations, with an emphasis on similarities and differences in different cultures. Topics that deal with individuals in organisations include personality, perception, motivation, ability, satisfaction, decision making and stress. Topics relevant to group behaviour include interpersonal relations, group dynamics, group decision making, leadership, conflict, power, ethics, social justice and social responsibility. The application of theory and research findings to management practice in organisations is addressed in the coverage of these topics.
- Students are able to (1) explain organisational behaviour theories and concepts across cultures and nations; (2) describe the importance of an evidence-based approach to management and organisational behaviour; (3) interpret organisational problems in terms of individual, interpersonal and group processes; (4) analyse organisational problems using a number of established theoretical frameworks; (5) create solutions to managerial problems through the application of well-researched organisational behaviour principles; and (6) develop oral and written communication skills.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation; (2) assignments; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Francesco Cangiano (semester 1), Dr Ruolian Fang (Semester 2)
- Unit rules
- MGMT2235 Organisational Behaviour
- Contact hours
- lectures/Practical Classes/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2 [SEM-2 ]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.