MGMT6791 Business Research: Principles and Processes
- 6 points
|Not available in 2018||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit provides a foundation for management research and analysis through a study of the history and philosophy of social science research underpinning management studies. Topics include (1) paradigms, theories, models, constructs, hypotheses, experiments and other building blocks of the scientific method of enquiry; (2) inferential and deductive processes in the scientific method; (3) issues and procedures in moving from theory to research designs; (4) research as a social process; (5) the institutional contexts of management and social science research; and (6) ethics and social research. Key issues in the use of theory in effective research designs are illustrated through a close reading of research papers drawn from several disciplines in management and social sciences.
- Assessment information is provided in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Outline
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.