MUSC2332 Western Art Music 2 (Classical and Romantic)
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- This unit examines the development of Western art music from the rise of the Classical style during the second quarter of the eighteenth century and its subsequent flowering in the music of the Viennese classical composers (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert) and continues with a study of early nineteenth-century Romanticism (Weber, Schumann, Berlioz, Chopin, Liszt) and the various later and post-Romantic styles (Wagner, Brahms, Musorgsky, Mahler, Richard Strauss) preceding the rise of twentieth-century Modernism. The unit aims to provide sound historical, technical and cultural perspectives of the repertoire and of the periods studied.
This unit is a compulsory unit in the Music Studies major in the Bachelor of Arts degree. It is also open to students enrolled in other majors and degree pathways who fulfill the prerequisites and who have an interest in music.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an understanding of the modes of enquiry employed in historical musicology, especially those appropriate to the study of Classical and Romantic music; (2) understand the basic style characteristics of the Classical and Romantic periods including their development and context within the history of Western art music generally; (3) relate the musical developments of the period to their cultural and social contexts; and (4) identify the various styles and genres of music from the period.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) essay; (2) listening test; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr David Symons
- Unit rules
- any Level 1 Music unit
- MUSC2110 Western Art Music (Classical and Romantic)
- Contact hours
- lectures: 2 hours per week; tutorials: 1 hour per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.