MUSC3323 Music in Theory and Practice
- 6 points
|Not available in 2018||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the Music Studies; Music Specialist Studies major sequences
- Level 3 elective
- This unit brings together practical music with academic studies by focusing on one major work performed in the same semester by the School of Music's staff and students. Students explore aspects of performance practice appropriate to the work and learn to situate this piece within its relevant historical, analytical and/or cultural contexts. Students also take advantage of the on-site performance with observation of rehearsals, reflective practice and discussions with some of the performers. Aspects studied may include: the history of the work's genre; the place of the work in the composer's output; structural analysis; and the work's performance history and reception.
- Students are able to (1) bring knowledge gained in practical music and academic studies together in ways that enhance both; (2) understand and analyse the work studied from a number of different perspectives; (3) develop proficient organisational, interpersonal and presentation skills through active participation in lecture/seminar activities; and (4) demonstrate comprehensive research skills by conducting an independent research project and writing a research essay.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) weekly participation and journal; (2) presentation; and (3) research portfolio. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Cecilia Sun
- Unit rules
- any Level 2 Music unit
- Advisable prior study:
- MUSC2541 Practical Music 3, MUSC2542 Practical Music 4, MUSC2520 Music Language 3, MUSC2525 Music Language 4, MUSC2331 Western Art Music 1 (Renaissance and Baroque), MUSC2332 Western Art Music 2 (Classical and Romantic)
- Contact hours
- up to 2 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.