MUSC3571 Sound Art: Advanced Studio
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the Music: Electronic Music and Sound Design major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This is a conceptual development unit that prepares a student for completion of their sound design studies in the final capstone unit MUSC3572 Sound Art: Major Project. Students research theoretical concepts and explore the practical development of works that conceptually model an advanced creative sound art proposal. In addition to the development of preparatory sound sketches, prototypes and models, all students are expected to participate in peer group discussion seminars and develop a written proposal that effectively communicates their creative goals and technical requirements for a major sound art project in MUSC3572.
- Students are able to (1) develop effective strategies for self directed research and practice; (2) develop a high level of practical skills in appropriate sound and, if applicable, image technology; (3) summarise and communicate via written and verbal means, inventive conceptual/theoretical frameworks; (4) selectively use digital media applications to develop and demonstrate sound sketches, prototypes and models; and (5) complete and present a cohesive conceptual model for the development of well resolved sound art works.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) written proposal; (2) portfolio of sound sketches/prototypes; and (3) seminar participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Assistant Professor Christopher Tonkin
- Unit rules
- MUSC1055 Electronic Music: Methods and Means and at least two of the following: MUSC2274 Electronic Music: Experimental Investigations MUSC2275 Electronic Music: Interactive Systems MUSC2276 Sound, Image and Space
- Contact hours
- up to 3 hours per week (seminars, tutorials)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.