SWSP5404 Social Work in Health and Human Services Contexts Part 1
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Parts 1 and 2 must be completed in the same semester to fulfil the requirements of the unit. The unit has an emphasis on consolidating learning from previous units in order for students to enter professional practice with relevant knowledge, skills and future professional development plans. The unit includes an analysis of knowledge and practice approaches that are commonly required for working in health and human service settings, such as poverty; homelessness; health and disability; substance misuse; gendered violence; sexual abuse; trauma in the CaLD community; crime and offending; out of home care; care giving; and grief, loss and palliative care. Knowledge of intersectionality, the impact of inequalities on individuals and groups, partnership working, leadership, and working across disciplines is incorporated into the knowledge and practice learning. Students are required to pass both essays (30 per cent and 40 per cent) to pass this unit.
- Students are able to (1) research and describe the key issues which are commonly experienced by people who have regular contact with health and human services organisations; (2) describe key social and demographic trends in Australia which impact on contemporary health and human services; and (3) critically examine current service provision and professional practices in at least two fields of social work practice (e.g. substance misuse, violence and abuse, disability).
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) essay on research-informed practice; (2) professional framework group presentation; and (3) critical reflection essay integrating studies with social work practice. Students must pass both essay assessments to pass this unit. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the essay on research-informed practice and critical reflection essay integrating studies with social work practice. Students must pass both essay assessments to pass this unit components.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Susan Crock
- Unit rules
- SWSP5429 Field Education 2: Final Placement (formerly SWSP8429 Field Education 2: Final Placement)
SWSP4429 Field Education II
- students must enrol in both units SWSP5404 Social Work in Health and Human Services Contexts Part 1
SWSP5405 Work in Health and Human Services Contexts Part 2 in the same semester
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.