SWSP5429 Field Education 2: Final Placement
- 12 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth), human services agencies in Perth Face to face
- The final placement serves three purposes. It provides students with an opportunity to build on and extend the professional knowledge and skills acquired on the first placement and to apply and 'test out' subsequent theoretical and reflective learning in the University, thus allowing for the transfer of learning. It also provides a longer period for agency based learning, thus facilitating greater depth for learning. Finally, it offers students a contrasting practice setting, allowing them to transfer their learning across client populations, problem circumstances and organisational environments. This process facilitates the development of professional identity based on an understanding of the 'universals' of practice. The placement is full-time for 16 weeks and includes compulsory attendance at the orientation day and integration days. Also, UWA supervision sessions as needed. A critical reflection and Learning Development Agreement are completed by each student on placement.
- Students are able to (1) build on the applied learning in the first placement in accordance with the student's strengths and learning needs; (2) further develop an understanding of the welfare system and welfare services organisations; (3) refine and further develop assessment and intervention skills and expand understanding of the policy, practice and research interface; (4) expand the capacity to utilise and adapt practice models and formal theory as relevant to the needs of agencies, client systems and problem situations; (5) establish a strong capacity for reflective practice and critical evaluation of interventions as the basis for professional habits of lifelong learning; and (6) further promote awareness of the normative nature of social practice and enhance capacity to make moral judgements in action.
- Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Julie Loveny
- Unit rules
- SWSP5309 Field Education 1: First Placement (formerly SWSP8309 Field Education 1: First Placement) including all its prerequisites, SWSP5632 Organisational Practice and Law (formerly SWSP8632 Organisational Practice and Law),
SWSP5633 Counselling and Ethics (formerly SWSP8633 Counselling and Ethics)
- Contact hours
- 560 hours (ie 16 weeks full-time)
- This unit does not fall into the standard University semesters and thus has non-standard withdrawal and census deadlines. Contact Student Administration for more information. Students are required to travel as part of their field placement. This is a full-time field placement for 16 weeks.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.