VISA1053 Video Art: Methods and Means
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 option in the Fine Arts major sequence
- Level 1 complementary unit in the Music: Electronic Music and Sound Design major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Design students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit offers a succinct and analytical introduction to the formation of creative video works. Incorporating the diversity of approaches and technologies available for students, the unit establishes the basic working methodologies for the production and dissemination of short video constructions as a global communicative form. The resources and intercommunicative possibilities of the World Wide Web is the focus of this introductory unit. It utilises existing and emerging technologies for the development of collaborative multinational/transcultural productions as well as individual creative works. The unit is highly relevant in promoting a culturally diverse environment in which students live.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate the basic working methods of digital video production and web-based dissemination of ideas; (2) enhance the development of communication skills through the production and dissemination of digital video works; (3) demonstrate skills necessary for participating in an evolving global interactive field of communication; (4) develop ethical and responsible creative productions that interact with the global community; and (5) demonstrate proficiently the mechanisms of collaborative interaction and multinational cultural production.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) collaborative video production; (2) visual analysis/critique; and (3) individual video production. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Vladimir Todorovic
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):(1) Studio Consumables (estimated cost - $75-$350 per semester)
(2) Digital media consumables (estimated cost - Up to $50 per semester).
- Contact hours
- up to 3 hours per week
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.