VISA2050 Video Art: Experimental Investigations
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 option in the Fine Arts major sequence
- Level 2 complementary unit in the Music: Electronic Music and Sound Design major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- This unit offers an advanced exploration into the variety of effects and speculative processes in the production of digital video works and is intended to extend the language of creative communication. It introduces the incorporation of aural, graphic and compositing devices into the post-production development of digital video works and promotes the creative investigation of integrating a range of aural/visual communicative vehicles. The unit makes use of existing and emerging technologies for the development of collaborative multinational/transcultural productions as well as individual creative works of a speculative nature. It is relevant to the global context in which students live.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an understanding of incorporating aural and visual effects into the production of digital video works; (2) display sound communication skills through the production and dissemination of digital video works; (3) actively participate within an evolving global interactive field of communication; (4) analyse the variety of perspectives inherent within the manipulation of visual documentation and the presentation of creative ideas; and (5) display an ethical responsibility of disseminating ideas on a global communicative platform.
- Typically this unit is assessed in the following ways: (1) peer-based visual analysis/critique; (2) aural/graphic altered production; and (3) individual production. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Paul Trinidad and Joseph London
- Unit rules
- VISA1053 Video Art: Methods and Means
- Contact hours
- up to 3 hours per week
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.