VISA2255 Sculpture: Time and Space
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 option in the Fine Arts major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 2 elective
- Sculpture: Time & Space is an introductory sculpture unit which explores art through materials, space, and time. The unit introduces students to a number of technical methods for making sculptural work, including carpentry, mold making, welding, and installation, in addition to more experimental forms. Students learn how to translate sketches into objects, and learn the basic principles for making sculpture.
In addition, this unit enhances the understanding of sculpture through art historical texts, collective discussion, and group critique. As a result, Sculpture: Time & Space is designed to support students in developing practices which are ground in both making and research.
- Students are able to (1) develop the practical and conceptual understanding of sculptural practice in the contemporary realm; (2) develop fabrication skills and the ability to mediate ideas through materials and process; and (3) develop the ability and confidence to historically contextualise their work and situate it within a contemporary discourse.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) weekly quizzes; (2) mid-semester portfolio; and (3) end-of-semester portfolio. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Mike Bianco
- Unit rules
- VISA1050 Art of Visualisation and Recording
VISA1051 Art in the Environment
VISA1052 Art of Expression
VISA1054 Art of Drawing
VISA1053 Video Art: Methods and Means
- Advisable prior study:
- VISA1054 Art of Drawing, VISA2273 Art of Drawing—Advanced, VISA1051 Art in the Environment.
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):Fine Arts consumables (estimated cost - $75-$350).
- Contact hours
- studios: 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.