VISA3051 Advanced Major Project
- 12 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the Fine Arts major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This unit provides for the development of a succinct and advanced body of artwork with a written exegesis that explores an individuated thesis within the visual arts. Students produce a cohesive body of creative artworks and an articulate, well-researched exegesis which extend current ways of thinking in visual arts and demonstrate an innovative conceptual framework of ideas. The objective of this unit is the formation, development and presentation of a substantial body of artwork suitable for exhibition accompanied by a detailed critical analysis in the form of a written exegesis.
- Students are able to (1) maintain a disciplined approach to their art practice and develop cogent modes of self-directed practice; (2) demonstrate an advanced level of practical skills in appropriate media and technology; (3) articulate well researched and inventive conceptual/theoretical frameworks; (4) demonstrate selective use, creative strategies and sound research practices to express fresh ideas; (5) complete and present a series of well-resolved works that are displayed to their best advantage; and (6) critically evaluate their practical research with coherent theoretical examination.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) interim presentation; (2) critical exegesis; and (3) final submission of creative work. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sarah Douglas (Sem 1); Vladimir Todorovic/Ionat Zurr (Sem 2)
- Unit rules
- VISA3050 Advanced Studio
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):Fine Arts consumables (estimated cost - $75-$350).
- Contact hours
- studio-based workshops and seminars: up to 6 hours per week for 12 weeks
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.