Diploma in Modern Languages (10300)The Diploma in Modern Languages is for undergraduate students at UWA who wish to study a language major alongside their current bachelor's degree. By enrolling in a diploma, students typically extend the overall time it takes to complete their studies by one year, which frees up space to concentrate on other things in their bachelor's degree. Students in the Diploma in Modern Languages elect to study a major sequence in either Chinese (Mandarin), Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, French, Italian, German or Spanish. Students in this course may apply to study some units of their course overseas. A Study Abroad or Student Exchange experience gives students the opportunity to immerse themselves in their chosen language, obtain first-hand experience of another culture and way of life, and meet new people and form friendships.
- Award abbreviation
- Course type
- undergraduate diploma course
- current / 2021
- Intake periods
- beginning of year and mid-year
- Administered by
- Social Sciences
- 48 points comprising 8 six-point units. Students normally take eight units each year, four in each semester.
- Available to international students
- Attendance type
- Part-time only
- Delivery mode
- Locations offered
- UWA (Perth), Albany
- Domestic fee type
- Commonwealth supported and/or HECS-HELP; or postgraduate fee-paying/FEE-HELP
- Majors available
- (1) MJD-SPNHB Spanish Studies
(2) MJD-INDNB Indonesian Studies
(3) MJD-INDNI Indonesian Studies
(4) MJD-INDNP Indonesian Studies
(5) MJD-JPNSB Japanese Studies
(6) MJD-JPNSI Japanese Studies
(7) MJD-JPNSP Japanese Studies
(8) MJD-KOREB Korean Studies
(9) MJD-FRNHA French Studies
(10) MJD-FRNHB French Studies
(11) MJD-FRNHI French Studies
(12) MJD-ITLNA Italian Studies
(13) MJD-ITLNB Italian Studies
(14) MJD-ITLNI Italian Studies
(15) MJD-GRMNA German Studies
(16) MJD-GRMNB German Studies
(17) MJD-GRMNI German Studies
(18) MJD-CHNSA Chinese Studies
(19) MJD-CHNSB Chinese Studies
(20) MJD-CHNSI Chinese Studies
(21) MJD-CHNSP Chinese Studies
- Visit the fees calculator.
2. The Glossary provides an explanation of the terms used in these rules.
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
3.(1) The Student Rules apply to students in this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials, Communication and Research Skills And Indigenous Studies Essentials module
4.(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in an undergraduare degree course of the University for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module), Communication and Research Skills (the CARS module) and Indigenous Studies Essentials (the ISE module) in the teaching period in which they are first enrolled.
(2) A student must successfully complete the ACE module within the first teaching period of their enrolment. Failure to complete the module within this timeframe will result in the student's unit results from this teaching period being withheld. These results will continue to be withheld until students avail themselves of a subsequent opportunity to achieve a passing grade in the ACE module. In the event that students complete units in subsequent teaching periods without completing the ACE module, these results will similarly be withheld. Students will not be permitted to submit late review or appeal applications regarding results which have been withheld for this reason and which they were unable to access in the normally permitted review period.
English Language competency requirements
5. To be considered eligible for consideration for admission to this course an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework.
Admission ranking and selection
12. Applicants are not normally permitted to defer admission to this course and are expected to commence their course in the offered intake only. Applicants seeking admission to an alternative intake must submit a new application for that intake.