Students who commenced their course before 2012 should consult the rules below.
Note: This course is only available to re-enrolling students.
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The Student Rules apply to students in this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
1.A(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
(2) A student who has previously achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module is not required to repeat the module.
(3) A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in the rules for this course.
(4) A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of (3) is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation'.
3. To be considered for admission to this course an applicant must have a bachelor's degree of this University with a major in computer science or information technology completed with a weighted average mark of at least 55 per cent, or equivalent as recognised by the Faculty.
(2) The course by way of coursework comprises units to a total value of 48 points chosen from the Level 3, Level 4 or Level 7 units offered by the School of Computer Science and Software Engineering, provided that no more than 24 points come from Level 3 units.
(3) The course by way of coursework and dissertation comprises—
(a) CITS4008 Scientific Communication (replacing CITS7200 Scientific Communication)—6 points
(b) units to a total value of 30 points chosen from the Level 3, Level 4 or Level 7 units offered by the School of Computer Science and Software Engineering, provided that no more than 24 points come from Level 3 units;
(c) a dissertation to the value of 12 points comprising the following which must be completed over two successive semesters:
|Availability||Unit code||Unit name|
|CITS8205||Computer Science and Software Engineering Dissertation C Part 1|
|CITS8206||Computer Science and Software Engineering Dissertation C Part 2|
Examination of dissertation
(a) fail units to the value of more than 12 points in a calendar year; or
(b) fail the same unit twice.
[Approved exception to University Policy]
(a) when a student, other than one described in (b), fails to make satisfactory progress under Rule 6, a progress status of 'Suspended' is assigned by the Faculty;
(b) when a student who is enrolled for the first time in a postgraduate course at this University fails to make satisfactory progress under Rule 6, a progress status of 'On Probation' is assigned if the student has—
(i) commenced mid-year; or
(ii)A. not failed units to a value greater than 18 points in their first year; and
B. not failed units to a value greater than 6 points in their second semester; and
C. gained a weighted average of at least 30 per cent in the units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.