Students who commenced their course before 2012 should consult the rules below.
Note: This course is only available to re-enrolling students.
Applicability of the Student Rules, policies and procedures
1.(1) The Student Rules apply to students in this course.
Academic Conduct Essentials module
1.A(1) Except as stated in (2), a student who enrols in this course for the first time irrespective of whether they have previously been enrolled in another course of the University, must undertake the Academic Conduct Essentials module (the ACE module).
(2) A student who has previously achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module is not required to repeat the module.
(3) A student who has not achieved a result of Ungraded Pass (UP) for the ACE module when their progress status is assessed will not have made satisfactory progress even if they have met the other requirements for satisfactory progress in the rules for this course.
(4) A student who does not make satisfactory progress in terms of (3) is assigned the progress status of 'On Probation'.
(2) Applicants with qualifications from overseas institutions where English is not the medium of instruction must provide evidence of English language competency equivalent to an IELTS score of 7.5 overall with no band lower than 7.0 and no less than 8.0 in Speaking and Listening.
(3) Applicants whose first language is not English, but who have degrees from institutions where English is the medium of instruction, may be required to provide further evidence of English language competency.
(a) all units in Table a [Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) core units]—90 points
(b) one unit from Table b [Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) options]—6 points.
(2) All students are required to pass a test of Teacher Language Competency Skills.
(3) Students will not be permitted to exceed the total number of points prescribed for the course, unless the Faculty permits otherwise in exceptional circumstances, in accordance with University Policy.
Credit for previously completed work
(2) Within the overall credit limit, credit may be granted for work completed through Continuing Education at this University to a maximum value of 12 points.
(3) Students who are permitted to transfer from the Graduate Diploma in Education course at this University to the Master of Teaching course are granted credit for all units completed in the Graduate Diploma in Education course.
[(1) to (3) inclusive are approved exceptions to University Policy]
Substitution of units
[Approved addition to University Policy]
Failure to attend or to complete prescribed work of a unit
(a) fails to attend the prescribed classes, lectures, seminars or tutorials for the unit; or
(b) fails to sit any examinations required in the unit; or
(c) fails to complete assignments and other prescribed work for the unit at a standard acceptable to the Faculty.
(2) A student who is prohibited from undertaking further study or examinations in a Professional Practice unit1 is not permitted to re-enrol in the unit concerned unless the Faculty approves otherwise.
Failure to pass a Professional Practice unit 1
(a) the Dean of the Faculty;
(b) the Director of Teaching; and
(c) the Deputy Dean of the Faculty.
(2) The committee will take into account all relevant information and recommend to the Faculty that the student—
(a) repeat the Professional Practice unit; or
(b) repeat the Professional Practice unit following completion of specified additional relevant work; or
(c) not be permitted to re-enrol in the course.
(3) If the Faculty permits a student to repeat a Professional Practice unit, it will determine whether the unit is to be repeated in the same or a subsequent year taking into consideration the student's overall performance in the course concerned.
8.(1) Subject to (2), to make satisfactory progress in a calendar year a student must pass units to a value of at least half the total value of units in which they remain enrolled after the final date for withdrawal without academic penalty.
(2) To make satisfactory progress in the year in which a student is enrolled in a Professional Practice unit1 the student must, in addition to passing units to the value of at least half the total points value of units in which they are enrolled, pass the Professional Practice unit(s) in which they are enrolled.
9.(1) Students who pass the Professional Practice unit(s)1 but do not pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units in which they are enrolled are assigned the progress status of 'Suspended' and are not permitted to re-enrol for a period of one year.
(2) Students who pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units for which they are enrolled but who fail a Professional Practice unit1 are, if the Committee described in Rule 7 so recommends under that Rule, assigned the progress status of 'Excluded' and are excluded from further study in the course.
(3) Students who do not pass units to a value of at least half the total points value of units for which they are enrolled and who fail a Professional Practice unit1 are assigned the progress status of 'Excluded' and are excluded from further study in the course.
(4) Students who fail to make satisfactory progress twice are assigned the progress status of 'Excluded' and are excluded from further study in the course.
[(1) to (3) are approved additions to University Policy]
Award of Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies
10. A student who withdraws from the Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) course before qualifying for the degree but after satisfying the requirements for the Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies as set out in Rule 3 of the rules for that course may apply to the Faculty to be awarded the diploma.