ARTF1052 Fine Arts Studio: Record, Visualise & Imagine
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the Fine Arts major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 elective
- This unit welcomes students from all fields of learning and is designed to cater to those who have no or little experience in making art as well as to those who wish to further develop their artistic skills and abilities. Students are introduced to foundational methods, materials, techniques and concepts in Fine Arts practice and to a wide array of recording methods and visualizing techniques, ranging from drawing, collage and print, to introductory photography and digital media. In this unit students will develop their capacity to interpret visual and sensory information and apply their interpretation with regard to the dynamics of colour, design and composition. Students begin to develop visual literacy through critical reflection on their creative work and expand their knowledge by participating in group critiques and class discussions. This is a core unit for students enrolled in the Fine Arts Major.
- Students are able to (1) articulate the focus of your creative work; (2) apply a range of basic technical skills relevant to methods of recording and visualisation; (3) demonstrate creative exploration of materials and processes; (4) demonstrate observation and analytical skills in design, colour and composition; (5) exhibit evidence of a developing ability to critically reflect on your creative work; and (6) communicate information and ideas effectively in written, oral and creative modes.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) creative work; (2) written work; and (3) oral presentation(s). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sarah Douglas, Andy Quilty
- Unit rules
- VISA1050 Art of Visualisation and Recording
VISA1052 Art of Expression
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):Fine Arts consumables (estimated cost - $75-$350).
- Contact hours
- Up to 4 hours per week
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.