CHIN2001 Chinese 3A
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the CHNSB Chinese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit follows on from CHIN1402 Chinese 2 and functions as a bridging unit for the beginners' major (MJD-CHNSB), providing the foundation for further developing linguistic and cultural competency. The unit continues to develop the four language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and increases students' effective communication skills to meet routine practical and social demands that are relevant to them at tertiary level. Special emphasis is placed on consolidating and expanding student knowledge and recognition of Chinese characters. The unit also equips students with the ability to use dictionaries and read new materials in the target language.
- Students are able to (1) converse in spoken and written form about everyday topics at lower intermediate level; (2) develop a sound understanding of the construction of Chinese characters and grammar; (3) master the most commonly used Chinese characters and compose informative sentences and passages; and (4) achieve reasonable understanding of successful second language acquisition and apply research skills which allow independent learning.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation; (2) tests; and (3) assignments. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Huilin Sun
- Unit rules
- CHIN1402 Chinese 2
CHIN1102 Chinese Beginners II
- CHIN2403 Chinese 3
- CHIN2201 Chinese Intermediate Bridging
CHIN1001 Chinese 3A
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- This unit is for beginners.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.