FREN3409 French Studies 9
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the FRNHA French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This unit is designed for students who have completed FREN2408 French Studies 8. It extends students' fluency and literacy through extensive writing practice and numerous speaking opportunities, and develops students' knowledge of contemporary France and French-speaking countries. A specially designed program, the unit includes textbook activities (drills, exercises, analysis of texts of various nature, compositions, imitation of models) and creative writing as well as guided conversations at advanced level. The unit contributes to achieving the French major's general outcomes of understanding self and others, research and communication. This unit completes the language sequence for near-native speaking students, and should bring them to Level C2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an increased confidence orally and in writing at an advanced level of French; (2) integrate their language awareness with higher sociocultural knowledge by reading a full-length novel; (3) read/view and analyse texts/videos of advanced complexity relating to a wide range of topics; (4) self-correct mistakes in grammar and syntax, and generally consolidate and deepen their grasp of French grammar from the point of view of French as a foreign language; (5) create a variety of short documents; (6) improve their critical use of printed and web-based material in Frenc; and (7) enhance a metalinguistic understanding of French and English. Students who pass this unit acquire an advanced proficiency in writing and oral skills in French at Level C2 of the CEFR.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) student-led projects and exposés; (2) in-class tests; and (3) participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Hélène Jaccomard
- Unit rules
- FREN2408 French Studies 8
FREN2208 French Advanced IV
- Contact hours
- language classes: 12 x 2 hours
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.