FREN3813 French Exceptionalism and Contemporary France
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the FRNHA French Studies major sequence
- Level 3 option in the FRNHB French Studies; FRNHI French Studies major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This specialist unit, taught in French, focuses on modern and contemporary France. This is a unique opportunity for students to consolidate their language and cultural competencies by studying and analysing major aspects of French society through French/Francophone texts in the broadest sense (print, electronic and audiovisual). Students understand and discuss the finer points of French national identity, which may include French exceptionalism, Republicanism, immigration and secularism, inequalities and meritocracy.
- Students are able to (1) expand on notions of the French language learned so far; (2) improve and extend written and oral expression in French; (3) read, view and analyse French/francophone written or filmic fiction and theoretical texts; (4) develop a historical and theoretical perspective on French/francophone literature, culture and ideas; (5) familiarise themselves with the latest research, and sharpen their research skills; (6) develop independent learning skills, research skills and interpersonal skills; and (7) critically assess and analyse a range of French literary and cultural practices in the fields covered, and contrast such practices with the ones from their own cultural background.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) a research essay; (2) compositions; and (3) participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sabine Kuuse
- Unit rules
- FREN2404 French Studies 4
FREN2406 French Studies 6
FREN2408 French Studies 8
- Contact hours
- lectures: 10 x 1 hour; tutorials: 10 x 2 hours
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.