ITAL3815 Linguistic History of Italy
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the ITLNB Italian Studies; ITLNI Italian Studies; ITLNA Italian Studies major sequences
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- This unit studies the role of language in the history of Italy from ancient times to the present. It considers language change as an expression of broader social and cultural changes which are also reflected in philosophical and artistic developments. It analyses the emergence of vernacular, of the dialects and of the Italian language itself. Special attention will be paid to the development of the national language, but this will be treated, as will all other matters, within the context of an investigation of “who spoke what language to whom” at the crucial moments in Italy's long linguistic history.
- Students are able to (1) analyse the principal moments of language change in the history of Italy and their social context; (2) examine critical notions in sociolinguistics within a historical framework; (3) analyse selected cases of language change in the history of the Italian language and explain those changes with reference to internal (linguistic) causes and external (non-linguistic) causes; and (4) use the Italian language in spoken and written form at Level B2/C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) online tests; (2) research essay; and (3) tutorial participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor John Kinder
- Unit rules
- ITAL2404 Italian Studies 4
ITAL2204 Italian Intermediate II
ITAL2406 Italian Studies 6
ITAL2206 Italian Advanced II
ITAL2408 Italian Studies 8
ITAL2208 Italian Advanced IV
approval of Convener;
ITAL2811 Italian Culture in Word and Image: from the Middle Ages to the Risorgimento (formerly ITAL2811 Italian Studies 11)
ITAL2812 The Shape of Italian: Communicating Between Worlds (formerly ITAL2812 Italian Studies 12)
- ITAL2226 Linguistic History of Italy
- Contact hours
- lectures: 2 hours per week; tutorials: 1 hour per week; for 10 weeks from week 2
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.