JAPN5001 Japanese for Professionals 1
- 6 points
|Not available in 2020||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This beginner's level postgraduate level language unit provides students with the knowledge and understanding of basic Japanese grammar and vocabulary used in everyday and limited professional contexts. Focusing on developing communication skills required in professional settings, the unit develops confidence in listening, speaking, reading and written Japanese. Through a number of contextual seminars in addition to language seminars, the unit provides knowledge and understanding of the role of language in scholarship and research, with the focus on enhancing language learner autonomy in students to prepare them for further independent language study. The unit provides a good basis for an intercultural understanding of Japanese culture and society through situating the use of Japanese language in relevant social and cultural contexts.
- Students are able to (1) communicate in written and spoken Japanese on everyday topics in limited every day and professional situations; (2) apply appropriate beginner-level Japanese language to selected cultural social situations; (3) have an understanding of the Japanese culture and society inform basic sociolinguistic conventions in contemporary Japanese language use; (4) achieve a comparative understanding of language and language use, in both Japanese and English and how these differ in every day and limited professional contexts; and (5) achieve a basis to approach research topics relating to Japanese language and the histories, societies and cultures associated with the Japanese language.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) examinations; (2) continuous assessment (including contextual seminars); and (3) oral presentation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Assistant Professor Kyoko Kawasaki
- Unit rules
- Advisable prior study:
- Bachelor of Arts (BP001), Bachelor of Commerce (BP004)
- JAPN1401 Japanese 1
- Contact hours
- language seminars: 2 hours per week over 6 weeks; self-directed learning; Saturday block seminars (refer to the unit outline for further details)
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.