LACH4422 Design Studio—Making
- 12 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- This studio investigates building technologies, with a special emphasis on construction detailing as it applies to the profession of landscape architecture. It combines studio investigations with the hands-on construction of site details and the use of drawing as a means of design resolution and communication. Students refine the conceptual, lateral and poetic skills integral to the scope of studios in the School of Architecture, Landscape and Visual Arts (ALVA) while synthesising and developing the skills and knowledge necessary to resolve a scheme to a state of 'buildability'.
- Students are able to (1) design and build with appropriate materials and demonstrate their understanding of how landscapes are constructed through technical drawings; (2) use drawings as a means of design resolution and communication and an awareness of and familiarity with the concepts, methods, mechanisms and settings of landscape constructions; and (3) become familiar with relevant Australian Design Standards and understand the material repercussions of their design decisions.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: folio submission. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Christina Nicholson
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):(1) Field trips within the metropolitan area, travel and food only (estimated cost - $10-$50)
(2) Field trips outside the metropolitan area (estimated cost - $50-$250)
(3) Interstate field trips (estimated cost - $500-$900)
(4) Overseas field trips (estimated cost - $2000-$5000).
- Contact hours
- up to 9 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.