MUSC3543 Advanced Ensemble
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the Music Studies; Music Specialist Studies; Music General Studies major sequences
- This unit focuses on developing advanced ensemble concepts and techniques. It emphasises the understanding and development of individual leadership skills in both conducted and un-conducted musical ensembles, the collaborative interpretation and communication of musical ideas, and rehearsal techniques for different music ensembles. These skills are developed through the study, preparation and performance of selected chamber music repertoire, and practical workshops in conducting skills. Students engage with various theoretical frameworks, through musical score study, source readings in performance practices and rehearsal techniques.
This unit is an elective unit in the Music Studies major in the Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate effective musical leadership skills and techniques in a range of performance settings; (2) investigate and apply relevant performance practices for studied repertoire in conducted and unconducted ensemble performance; (3) demonstrate an understanding of psychological processes underlying communicative gesture in musical ensembles; (4) contribute to the development of a collaborative musical interpretation; (5) demonstrate development of these leadership techniques and outcomes while maintaining individual control and quality of performance in appropriate chamber music repertoire; and (6) contribute towards a peer-reflection process involving the student's own work and that of other students.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) a performance examination; (2) a workshop presentation and participation assessment; and (3) a written research project. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Mr Graeme Gilling
- Unit rules
- any Level 2 Music unit
- enrolled in the Music Studies major (degree specific major)
- MUSC3401 Practical Studies 5, MUSC3402 Practical Studies 6, MUSC4401 Practical Studies 7, MUSC4402 Practical Studies 8
- Contact hours
- 32 (conducting tutorials/workshops: 1 hour per week; workshops: 1 hour per week; tutorials: 8 hours per semester)
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.