SCIE5571 Dissertation Part 1
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- In the unit set, students follow one or more lines of enquiry through a supervised but independent research project. Students gain experience in the identification and resolution of problems associated with their chosen discipline. In consultation with
supervisors, students design and carry out research, compile and manipulate data, critically analyse results, re-evaluate research goals and present the research results in a written research dissertation.
The unit provides the research and project management skills necessary for a career as a research professional. The project management skills and experience acquired in the unit are relevant to all students wishing to practice as industry professionals.
- Students are able to (1) execute an independent project in their discipline; (2) analyse information relevant to a field of enquiry; and (3) synthesize information relevant to a field of enquiry.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: dissertation (continuous assessment with a final mark awarded at the completion of dissertation
parts 1 to 4). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Amin Mugera and Associate Professor Matthew Hipsey
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Bachelor of Science (Honours)(BH004) in Agricultural Science, Environmental Science
Natural Resource Management ; completion of 144 points in the Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours)(BH005); enrolment in Master of Environmental Science (72530) with a mark of at least 70% in ENVT4422 Research Methods in Environmental Science and a weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of units completed within the course;
enrolment in the Master of Agricultural Science (72510)
a weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of units completed within the course.
- AGRI5560 Agricultural Economics Literature Review and Research Proposal, AGRI5509 Agricultural Sciences Masters Research Project Development, AGRI5551 Agricultural Sciences Masters Research Dissertation Part 1, AGRI4511 Agriculture Honours Research Project Development , AGRI5541 Agriculture Honours Research Dissertation Part 1, ENVT5011 Research Project in Environmental Science Part 1, SCIE4501 Science Research Dissertation Part 1
- Contact hours
- as required by supervisor
- The four part dissertation unit set is taken over two consecutive semesters for full-time enrolment or up to four consecutive semesters for part-time enrolment. Parts 1 to 4 must be completed to fulfill the requirements of the unit. Students can commence the unit in either semester 1 or semester 2.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.