SWSP5407 Research Methods
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit familiarises students with the use of research in social work practice and introduces students to the theory, knowledge, skills and methods of the research process.
- Students are able to (1) identify the role of research in social work practice; (2) research design and methods - quantitative and qualitative designs; (3) construct hypotheses or research questions; (4) compare and contrast sampling procedures in research methods; (5) analyse and interpret the process of data analysis; (6) identify ethical issues regarding research with human participants; and (7) identify the problems and limitations of the research process.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) test and (2) test. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Mark Sachmann
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.