ACCT5633 Accounting for Planning and Control
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit covers three principal areas. The first is cost accounting fundamentals which includes an introduction to cost terms and cost accumulation systems. The second section is tools for planning and control which includes master budget, flexible budgets, variances and management control, inventory costing and capacity analysis. The last section is cost information for decisions and advanced topics in management accounting. Topics in this section include cost-volume profit analysis, decision making and relevant information, strategic cost, time, quality and inventory management and strategic pricing.
- Students are able to (1) appreciate how management accounting information assists managers to make effective planning and controlling decisions through in-depth knowledge of management; (2) undertake problem identification, analysis and problem-solving of routine accounting problems, acquire desk-based research skill through appreciation of, and familiarity with the current management accounting literature (e.g. balanced scorecard), and familiarity with the preparation of a spreadsheet software program (e.g. Microsoft Excel) through a collaborative learning project; (3) communicate clearly, concisely and logically in English, both oral and written form; (4) demonstrate self management skills and the ability to effectively work independently and in team-based situations; (5) think and reason logically and creatively; (6) appreciate management and internal controls, ethical, cultural and social issues; and (7) develop familiarity with the concepts of strategy and balanced scorecard.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) seminar activities; (2) collaborative learning project; and (3) mid-semester examination (30 per cent); final examination (40 per cent). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Vincent Chong (Semester 1), Dr Nishant Agarwal (Semester 2)
- Unit rules
- ACCT5432 Introductory Financial Accounting
- Contact hours
- lectures/seminars/workshops: up to 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.