AGRI5544 Agriculture Honours Research Dissertation Part 4
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 1||Albany||Face to face|
|Semester 2||Albany||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Honours core unit in Agricultural Science [Bachelor of Science (Honours)]
- The four parts of the Agricultural Science dissertation unit are taken over two consecutive semesters for full-time enrollment or up to four consecutive semesters for part-time enrollment. Parts 1 to 4 must be completed to fulfill the requirements of the unit. Students can commence the unit in either semester 1 or semester 2.
In this unit, students follow one or more lines of inquiry within a supervised but independent research project. Students gain experience in the identification and resolution of problems associated with their chosen discipline. In consultation with supervisors, students design and carry out research, compile and manipulate data, critically analyse results, re-evaluate research goals and present and discuss the research results in a written research dissertation. The unit provides the research and project management skills necessary for a career as a research professional. The project management skills and experience acquired in the unit are relevant to all students wishing to practise as industry professionals.
- Students are able to (1) assess and manage a research project within the regulatory framework of their field; (2) design and carry out research that tests viable hypotheses; (3) evaluate data and compile results that allow strong conclusions to be made; (4) identify gaps in research results and re-evaluate research goals to fill these gaps; (5) organise and present scientific results in writing in a professional manner; and (6) discuss results in the context of scientific literature and defend in writing the conclusions.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: a dissertation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Ken Flower
- Unit rules
- AGRI4512 Agriculture Honours Research Presentation
- Advisable prior study:
- Lindsay, D. R. Scientific Writing = Thinking in Words: CSIRO Publishing 2011
- Contact hours
- independent research and study plus regular meetings with supervisors
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.