ARCT5012 Independent Research by Dissertation
- 12 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit allows students to develop research skills and comprises a research project in the field of architecture. Research topics may be in either critical studies, design or technical studies, and are to be agreed on between the student and a nominated supervisor and approved by the unit coordinator. The Independent Research unit aims to train and assess students' abilities to contribute to the future development of their discipline through research that extends existing knowledge and/or through the creative application of knowledge in ways likely to impact upon future thinking in their fields of study. Study is based on independent research rather than taught coursework and the learning and assessment practices intentionally parallel those of postgraduate research studies.
- Students are able to (1) develop a relevant bibliography of information sources and research a chosen architectural topic to a substantial depth; (2) clearly state and sustain a thesis, with a clearly substantiated argument and critical engagement with material; (3) develop a sound theoretical basis consistent with the type and focus of the research; and (4) clearly and effectively communicate architectural ideas and write in accordance with academic protocols.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: 12,000 to 15,000 word dissertation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Kate Hislop
- Unit rules
- ARCT4470 Architectural Research Seminar; the submission of a research proposal to the satisfaction of unit coordinator; the completion of at least 48 points of study; and a current weighted average mark in the Master of Architecture of at least 70 per cent
- Advisable prior study:
- Students should be in the final 48 points of the Master of Architecture course to enrol in this unit.
- ARCT5010 Independent Research Part 1, ARCT5011 Independent Research Part 2
- Contact hours
- meetings with supervisor: approximately 1 hour per week; presentations: through semester
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.