There are now 2 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Click on an offering mode for more details.
Students select from a range of detailed design studios each structured as an exploration through architectural design. The studios are vertically integrated to offer a wide range of choice of project types and inter-level peer learning.
It is expected that students demonstrate a thorough application of the various technical aspects of building design including construction, services and detailing. This includes an understanding of the various technical aspects of built form—construction, services, climatic control and site planning. The developed design studios typically require the design of medium to large-scale architectural propositions with complex constraints to a professional level of programmatic, spatial and material integration and resolution taken to a developed design stage.
- 12 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 Online Online Restricted Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 Online Online Restricted Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
Students are able to (1) demonstrate ability to translate regulatory constraints and urban policies into design parameters; (2) synthesise at a professional level architectural propositions of substantial complexity; (3) integrate to a professional level advanced technical historical and environmental knowledge in the resolution of an architectural proposition; and (4) demonstrate a full range of architectural communication skills at a professional level.
Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: folio. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Student may be offered supplementary assessment in this unit if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Rosangela Tenorio
- Unit rules
- ARCT5201 Detailed Design Studio 1
- Incidental fees
- Incidental student fees and charges are costs incurred by students as part of their studies at UWA that are in addition to their tuition fees (further information is available here or contact your Faculty Office).
Participation in this unit will incur the following incidental fee(s):(1) Field trips within the metropolitan area, travel and food only (estimated cost - $10-$50)
(2) Field trips outside the metropolitan area (estimated cost - $50-$250)
(3) Interstate field trips (estimated cost - $500-$900)
(4) Overseas field trips (estimated cost - $2000-$5000).
- Contact hours
- studio: up to 4 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
- Contact hours provide an indication of the type and extent of in-class activities this unit may contain. The total amount of student work (including contact hours, assessment time, and self-study) will approximate 150 hours per 6 credit points.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.