ARLA1030 Structures and Systems
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the Architecture B major sequence
- Level 1 complementary unit in the Landscape Architecture major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 1 elective
- This unit is concerned with the interrelationship between structures and sites. It provides students with constructional and site manipulation knowledge in relation to architecture and landscape design; an understanding of generic practices in the construction of traditional and contemporary buildings, landscapes and site works; and the applicability of environmentally conscious design in the context of constructed environments.
The unit will also address indigenous cultural connections and rights in relation to land, basic drawing techniques, basic technical terminology and an understanding of materials.
- Students are able to (1) understand basic structural principles in architecture and landscape design; (2) apply techniques for recording contextual information about sites and buildings on the basis of environmental, topographic, cultural and historical factors; (3) illustrate how built elements are constructed and how this information is conveyed in a drawing; (4) compare and contrast the fundamental properties of building materials, such as where they come from, how they are used, and their essential structural properties and materiality in the context of environmental design; and (5) make informed and appropriate structural, material and grading decisions.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) project 1 (group project); (2) project 2; and (3) project 3. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Santiago Perez
- Unit rules
- ARCT1030 Structures and Natural Systems
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week (Lecture / tutorial)
- Enrolled students can access unit material via the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.