ARTF3030 Advanced Art and Biotechnologies
- 6 points
|Not available in 2020||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 option in the Fine Arts major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Design and Creative Arts
- Category B broadening unit for students
- Level 3 elective
- In this unit students will continue to develop and extend their techno-scientific skills, knowledge and techniques acquired in Level 2 so that they can advance and refine their capacity to make art that is engaged with biotechnological expertise. Students will respond to our increasingly techno-scientific society by engaging with the aesthetic, cultural and ethical issues concerned with the use of biotechnologies in the creation of art. Students continue to cultivate their independent work practices, artistic research and concept development so that they can take greater command of the direction of their art in preparation for the capstone Advanced Major Project unit in Semester 2.
- Students are able to (1) locate your creative work within critical/theoretical, historical and contemporary contexts relevant to art and technology; (2) self-generate modes of creative inquiry using various approaches to support an individualised creative art practice; (3) produce a coherently evolving body of creative work that advances a personal vocabulary and vision; (4) demonstrate advanced technical mastery to articulate your creative work in the field of Art & Biotechnologies; (5) critically evaluate your practice within the relevant contemporary cultural, historical, social and professional contexts through the use of a range of presentation skills; and (6) synthesise critical and analytical thinking effectively in written, oral and creative modes.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) creative work; (2) written work; and (3) oral presentation(s). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Ionat Zurr
- Unit rules
- Completion of level two of the Fine Arts major
second major, including ARTF2030 Art and Life Manipulation and/or ARTF2031 Art and the Life Sciences,
approval by the unit coordinator.
- Contact hours
- Up to 6 hours per week.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.