BTEC5509 Biotechnology Research Project Part 2
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- The project units are taken over two consecutive semesters for full-time enrolment or up to three consecutive semesters for part-time enrolment. Parts 1 to 3 must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the unit. Students can commence the unit in either semester 1 or 2.
Students follow one or more lines of enquiry within a supervised but independent research project. They attend a series of seminars that guide them through the process of doing publication-standard research and managing a project. Students gain experience in the identification and resolution of problems associated with their chosen discipline. They seek and define suitable projects and, in consultation with supervisors, determine research goals, design and carry out research, interpret results and present the research outcomes as a research paper and oral presentation. The unit provides the research and project management skills necessary for a career as a scientist. It provides the skills needed for employment as a research technician, assistant or consultant, and skills relevant to those interested in management and policy research and development. The project management skills and experience acquired in the unit are relevant to all students wishing to practise as professionals in one of the science disciplines.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an ability to gather information relevant to a field of enquiry; (2) plan, manage and execute an independent project in their discipline; and (3) organise and present scientific results orally and in writing in a professional manner.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: continuing assessment (research dissertation and research seminar). Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Sasha Jenkins
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Master of Biotechnology (71520). Students who want to undertake a research project as an optional unit must have (a) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of Level 3 units in a relevant undergraduate major; or (b) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in at least 24 points of Level 3, 4 and 5 units completed within the course. An approved supervisor must have confirmed their willingness and availability to supervise the research project.
- BTEC5508 Biotechnology Research Project Part 1
- Contact hours
- independent project work and consultation with supervisor
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.