CHIN1405 Chinese 5
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the CHNSA Chinese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 1 elective
- This unit follows on from CHIN1404 Chinese 4 and provides further development of linguistic and cultural competency. While the unit covers the four linguistic skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing), emphasis is placed on communicative competence and more comprehensive reading and writing skills. At the same time, increased emphasis is placed on recognising radicals that compose Chinese characters and on developing reading and writing skills using a dictionary or online material. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the ISLPR Level 2+ (International Second Language Proficiency Ratings).
- Students are able to (1) communicate in spoken and written Chinese, cultural conventions and expressions and their differences between China and the West; (2) discuss and comment on the arts such as calligraphy, painting, gardening, dancing, martial arts and playing chess; (3) compare different countries in terms of populations, scenery, landscape and well-known aspects; (4) engage in conversations on a variety of topics using idiomatic expressions; and (5) read and analyse texts in Chinese in dialogue and narrative forms, assigned tasks in the Chinese language, refine generic skills such as understanding the self and others, understanding the language in general and critical analysis.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation; (2) tests; and (3) assignments. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Huilin Sun
- Unit rules
- available to students assessed by the discipline as having advanced language skills
- CHIN2107 Chinese Native Speakers I
CHIN2405 Chinese 5
CHIN3405 Chinese 5
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- This unit is for advanced-level students. It is not available to native speakers of Chinese.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.