CHIN2408 Chinese 8
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the CHNSA Chinese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit emphasises the application of students' language training to the study of Chinese sources reflecting contemporary Chinese culture and society. It deals with authentic materials regarding various current issues in China. It emphasises building vocabulary used in the media (print, television and internet) and widening the understanding of research skills. Successful completion of this unit brings students to the ISLPR Level 4 (International Second Language Proficiency Ratings) or New HSK Level 5 (New Chinese Proficiency Test) or CEFR C1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- Students are able to (1) further develop linguistic and cultural competency, including the ability to read general news articles from print and electronic media; (2) enhance their effective communication skills, including the ability to read critically and to translate general academic and media language from Chinese to English; (3) demonstrate knowledge of social and cultural issues of particular relevance to China; (4) analyse a social, cultural or political issue using authentic Chinese source materials; and (5) acquire and refine generic skills such as communication skills—both written and oral (including non-verbal) communication skills are developed and refined through a variety of teaching and assessment practices.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) test; (2) assignment; and (3) examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Liyong Wang
- Unit rules
- CHIN2407 Chinese 7
CHIN2209 Chinese for Business I
- CHIN2210 Chinese for Business II
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- This unit is for advanced-level students.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.