CHIN3406 Chinese 6
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the CHNSB Chinese Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This unit follows on from CHIN3405 Chinese 5 and provides further training in developing Chinese linguistic and cultural competency. It continues to develop the four linguistic skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and increases students' effective communication skills to meet routine practical and social demands that are relevant to them at tertiary level. Students attain a relatively higher level of proficiency in spoken and written Chinese. Special emphasis is placed on effectively communicating in Chinese in certain social and employment contexts and on developing students' translation skills.
- Students are able to (1) communicate with a reasonable degree of fluency with native speakers using sentences that are complete, coherent and syntactically correct; (2) use Chinese effectively under various social and employment contexts; (3) understand Chinese popular culture; and (4) translate moderately complex Chinese texts into English and vice versa, and to refine generic skills in terms of information literacy and management. The study of Chinese language necessitates learning how to learn, from the use of bilingual and monolingual dictionaries to memorisation techniques. The study of Chinese enables learners to critically evaluate Chinese-language information obtained through a variety of media and search techniques (whether hard copies in libraries or electronic resources).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participatiton; (2) tests; and (3) assignments. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Huilin Sun
- Unit rules
- CHIN3405 Chinese 5
- CHIN3406 Chinese 6
CHIN1406 Chinese 6
CHIN2406 Chinese 6
- Contact hours
- 3 hours per week
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.