There are now 2 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Click on an offering mode for more details.
This is the first-year theory unit for Paediatric Dentistry in the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry course. The unit is taken over two semesters and parts 1 and 2 must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the unit. The unit provides the theoretical underpinning of the clinical practice of paediatric dentistry. The theory units introduce students to the advanced theoretical aspects of paediatric dentistry allowing them to understand the scientific and clinical philosophies current in the discipline.
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face
Students are able to (1) be introduced to the theoretical aspects of Paediatric Dentistry Theory allowing them to understand the scientific and clinical philosophies current in the discipline. As the students' knowledge expands the nature of the content will be increased in complexity and depth. and (2) attain a thorough understanding of the theoretical aspects of the clinical discipline of Paediatric Dentistry. This will include the scientific, clinical, pathological and therapeutic aspects of the conditions and diseases that they will encounter. Students will be expected to put the didactic and theoretical knowledge they have acquired into clinical practice..
Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) two-hour written exam (multiple choice questions and short answer questions) and (2) a one-hour oral examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Student may be offered supplementary assessment in this unit if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Robert Anthonappa
- Unit rules
- a Bachelor of Dental Science of this University or equivalent , a Pass in the Primary examinations of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons or equivalent and at least two years' full-time equivalent experience in general dental practice
- Students are required to be registered with the Dental Board of Australia for the duration of the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (90840)
- Advisable prior study
- Paediatric textbooks and journals
Approved quota: 3—students need to meet the prerequisites for this speciality
Cameron, A. and Widmer, R. Handbook of Paediatric Dentistry, 4th edn: Mosby 2013
Andreasen, J. O. and Andreasen, F. M. Textbook and Color Atlas of Traumatic Injuries to the Teeth, 4th edn: Munksgaard 2007
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
- Contact hours provide an indication of the type and extent of in-class activities this unit may contain. The total amount of student work (including contact hours, assessment time, and self-study) will approximate 150 hours per 6 credit points.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.