DENT6855 Paediatric Dentistry Theory I Part 2
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Multi-mode Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Multi-mode
- This is the first-year theory unit for Paediatric Dentistry in the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry course. The unit is taken over two semesters and parts 1 and 2 must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the unit. The unit provides the theoretical underpinning of the clinical practice of paediatric dentistry. The theory units introduce students to the advanced theoretical aspects of paediatric dentistry allowing them to understand the scientific and clinical philosophies current in the discipline.
- Students are able to (1) be introduced to the theoretical aspects of Paediatric Dentistry Theory allowing them to understand the scientific and clinical philosophies current in the discipline. As the students' knowledge expands the nature of the content will be increased in complexity and depth. and (2) attain a thorough understanding of the theoretical aspects of the clinical discipline of Paediatric Dentistry. This will include the scientific, clinical, pathological and therapeutic aspects of the conditions and diseases that they will encounter. Students will be expected to put the didactic and theoretical knowledge they have acquired into clinical practice..
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) two-hour written exam (multiple choice questions and short answer questions) and (2) a one-hour oral examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Robert Anthonappa
- Unit rules
- a Bachelor of Dental Science of this University
equivalent; a Pass in the Primary examinations of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons
equivalent; and at least two years' full-time equivalent experience in general dental practice
- Students are required to be registered with the Dental Board of Australia for the duration of the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (90840).
- Advisable prior study:
- Paediatric textbooks and journals
Approved quota: 3
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
Cameron, A. and Widmer, R. Handbook of Paediatric Dentistry, 4th edn: Mosby 2013
Andreasen, J. O. and Andreasen, F. M. Textbook and Color Atlas of Traumatic Injuries to the Teeth, 4th edn: Munksgaard 2007
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.