EDUC5112 Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA)
- 0 points
Availability Location Mode Non-standard teaching period UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- The Assessment for Graduate Teaching (AfGT) is an approved Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA) instrument, endorsed by The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL), which was developed and implemented by a consortium of Australian higher education providers that have Initial Teacher Education (ITE) faculties or schools. The AfGT is designed to capture the sophisticated intellectual work of teaching and enable pre-service teachers to demonstrate the various ways in which they can meet the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (Graduate level). The AfGT is a culminating assessment of teacher performance, employing multiple measures to evaluate a pre-service teacher's teaching and professional decision making. The AfGT assesses most, but not all, of the Australian Professional Standard for Teachers.
The Assessment for Graduate Teachers (AfGT) is a summative, capstone teaching performance assessment. It is designed to assess a Pre- Service Teacher's (PST) teaching as measured by the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at Graduate level (AITSL, 2018). It has been developed as a final-year teaching performance assessment prior to graduation to:
a) be a reflection of classroom teaching practice including the elements of planning, teaching, assessing and reflecting
b) be a valid assessment that clearly assesses the content of the Graduate Teacher Standards
c) have clear, measurable and justifiable achievement criteria that discriminate between meeting and not meeting the Graduate Teacher Standards
d) be a reliable assessment in which there are appropriate processes in place for ensuring consistent scoring between assessors
e) include moderation processes that support consistent decision-making against the achievement criteria.
The summative, capstone nature of the AfGT implies that it is dependent upon successful completion of all other units comprising the pre- service teacher's initial teacher education (ITE) program. This includes the successful completion of the final professional experience placement.
- Students are able to successfully meet the requirements of the AITSL mandated Teaching Performance Assessment.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: assessment for Graduate Teaching (AfGT). Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the assessment for Graduate Teaching (AfGT) component.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Rachel Wicking and Jane Loxton
- Unit rules
- Contact hours
- assessment only—no associated contact hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.