EDUC5460 English Curriculum I
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit is designed for pre-service teachers who plan to teach secondary school English. It provides a theoretical framework for teaching, learning and assessment. Familiarity with the current curriculum documents is developed. Through active participation in workshops, pre-service teachers acquire strategies for effective teaching and learning, gain skills for planning and programming, learn about instructional materials and resources, and develop an understanding of issues relevant to English teaching.
- Students are able to (1) display an awareness of the developmental needs and interests of adolescent learners in English; (2) develop an understanding of different orientations and theoretical frameworks of the subject; (3) demonstrate a repertoire of teaching and learning strategies relevant to the secondary English curriculum; (4) display a detailed understanding of the current Western Australian English Curriculum; (5) plan and evaluate various instructional sequences (lesson plans and programmes) for effective and engaging learning; (6) evaluate and develop instructional resources for secondary English, including information and communication technology (ICT) and other educational technologies; (7) acquire an understanding of effective assessment practice in English through the planning of assessment tasks; (8) develop an awareness of diverse student learning needs through the planning of differentiated learning and the selection of differentiated resources; and (9) demonstrate knowledge of strategies to support inclusive student participation.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) lesson planning; (2) microteaching and workshop participation; and (3) learning program. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the lesson planning, microteaching and workshop participation, and learning program components.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Jennifer Shand
- Unit rules
- enrolment in Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- Contact hours
- 30 hours
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.