EDUC5461 Languages Other Than English (LOTE) Curriculum I
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- This unit gives an overview of Languages Other Than English (LOTE) in the secondary school curriculum; the principles of, and developments in, language teaching and learning; the development of micro and macro skills in listening and speaking; and the use of teaching aids, text evaluation, student assessment, lesson planning and teaching strategies.
- Students are able to (1) display an awareness of the developmental needs and interests of adolescent learners in LOTE; (2) develop an understanding of different orientations and theoretical frameworks of the subject; (3) demonstrate a repertoire of teaching and learning strategies relevant to the secondary LOTE curriculum; (4) display a detailed understanding of the current Western Australian LOTE Curriculum; (5) plan and evaluate various instructional sequences (lesson plans and programmes) for effective and engaging learning; (6) evaluate and develop instructional resources for secondary LOTE, including information and communication technology (ICT) and other educational technologies; (7) acquire an understanding of effective assessment practice in LOTE through the planning of assessment tasks; (8) develop an awareness of diverse student learning needs through the planning of differentiated learning; and (9) demonstrate a developing proficiency in engaging students from diverse social and cultural contexts and with diverse literacy and numeracy capabilities.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) lesson planning; (2) preparation of a teaching program; and (3) micro teaching. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the preparation of a sequence of lesson plans, a learning program, and professional conduct components.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Dr Angela Evangelinou-Yiannakis
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Graduate Diploma in Education
Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- Advisable prior study:
- at least two Level 1 and two Level 2 units in one of the language subjects taught in schools including Japanese, French, German, Indonesian, Chinese and Italian
- Contact hours
- 30 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.