EDUC5508 Integrated Studies: Science
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Multi-mode|
- This unit is delivered as a series of interactive workshops with an emphasis on developing science content knowledge, science pedagogy and improving students' attitudes towards science in early childhood settings and primary classrooms. Emphasis is placed on inquiry learning, utilising a 'hands-on, minds-on' approach to engage children. The role of evidence in science is discussed. The important place of prior knowledge in children's science learning is explored with an emphasis on the relationship between everyday concepts and scientific concepts. Students become familiar with the three curriculum strands: science understanding (biological sciences, chemical sciences, earth and space sciences, physical sciences); science inquiry skills; and science as a human endeavour of the Australian curriculum: science. Students also become familiar with the place of science within the Early Years Learning Framework. Students develop understanding of integrating mathematics with science. Students begin to develop a resource file and professional library as a means of developing their own science content knowledge.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an understanding of how children in early childhood and primary years learn Science; (2) demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the early childhood and primary Science curriculum and a range of pedagogies to teach it; (3) articulate a theory of Science learning and teaching, based on critical analysis of research literature relevant to early childhood or primary education; (4) develop skills to use, create and evaluate early childhood or primary Science instructional resources for teaching and learning, including educational technologies.; (5) demonstrate understanding of assessment strategies including informal, formal, diagnostic, formative and summative approaches when developing a Science integrated unit of work; and (6) demonstrate an ability to plan an early childhood or primary Science integrated program that links with literacy and numeracy.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) integrated science program and (2) case study. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the planning and programming document and assessment of prior knowledge components.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Christine Howitt
- Unit rules
- enrolment in the Master of Teaching (Early Childhood)
Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Contact hours
- 30 contact hours (150 hours total time commitment). Further information is available in the unit outline.
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1-2020 [SEM-1-2020]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.