ENVT5519 Professional Skills in Science
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- The unit prepares students for transitioning into the workforce as an environmental professional. The course exposes students to typical requirements and workflows associated with management of environmental projects, identifying the necessary skills and challenges students need to be aware of in order to be effective. The unit covers aspects associated with a typical Environmental Impact Assessment cycle such as tendering, environmental condition reporting, compliance, and an understanding of how to navigate regulatory requirements. Students will meet with guest lecturers from the local environmental consulting industry and begin to plan for a collaborative project with a selected industry client.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate awareness of the environmental regulatory framework; (2) identify the components of an Environmental Impact Assessment (or similar environmental project) from inception to final approval; (3) apply project management tools and processes to the planning of a government or industry relevant project; (4) demonstrate clear and effective communication using appropriate written, oral and visual means; and (5) construct a tender response for environmental work.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) participation and engagement; (2) proposal presentation; and (3) written submission in response to a tender. Further information is available in the unit outline.
To pass this unit, a student must: (a) achieve an overall mark of 50 per cent or higher for the unit; and (b) achieve the requisite requirements(s) or a mark of 50 per cent or greater, whichever is higher and specified in the unit outline, for the written submission in response to a tender component.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Matthew Hipsey, Professor Daniel Murphy , Assoc/Prof James Fogarty
- Unit rules
- Enrolment in Master of Environmental Science (72530)
Master Agricultural Science (72510)
- ENVT4421 Fundamentals of Environmental Management for students in Master of Environmental Science (72530), AGRI5402 Agribusiness for students in the Master of Agricultural Science
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.