FREN2405 French Studies 5
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the FRNHI French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This language unit is designed for students who have completed FREN1404 French Studies 4. It consolidates and expands on some essential fundamentals of French grammar and syntax. It creates numerous opportunities for a deeper understanding of French as a foreign language, and for oral and written communication. Students expand their cultural and language awareness of France and the French language by reading and engaging with texts chosen for their cultural and literary merits. The unit leads to FREN2406 French Studies 6.
- Students are able to (1) consolidate and build on prior knowledge of French language and culture; (2) improve and extend written and oral expression in French in the classroom and authentic settings; (3) consolidate pronunciation and reading skills; (4) observe, analyse and imitate models of written and oral communication dealing with day-to-day topics; (5) practise using audiovisual and internet resources in class and independently; (6) acquire or reinforce their discipline about learning a foreign language by regular homework and preparations; and (7) enhance a metalinguistic understanding of French and English. Students who pass this unit acquire a proficiency in writing and oral skills in French at Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) student-led projects; (2) quiz and tests; and (3) participation and homework. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sabine Kuuse
- Unit rules
- FREN1404 French Studies 4 or FREN2404 French Studies 4 or FREN1104 French Intermediate II or FREN2204 French Intermediate II
- FREN2205 French Advanced I
- Contact hours
- language classes: 12 x 3 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.