FREN2407 French Studies 7
- 6 points
|Semester 1||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the FRNHA French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit is designed for students who have completed FREN1106 French Advanced II or FREN1406 French Studies 6, and improves proficiency on all aspects of language comprehension and production. The unit focuses on developing translation skills, while deepening a grammatical and syntactical appreciation of standard French in a variety of situations and registers of language. It aims at improving proficiency on all aspects of language comprehension and production. Students also expand their range of vocabulary, their knowledge of French society and current issues, improve their confidence in oral situations and their general fluency and literacy. The unit leads to FREN2408 French Studies 8. It contributes to achieving the French major's general outcomes of understanding self and others, research and communication.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an increased confidence orally and in writing at an advanced level of French; (2) integrate their language awareness with higher sociocultural knowledge; (3) read/view and analyse texts/videos of medium complexity relating to various general topics; (4) self-correct mistakes in grammar and syntax, and generally consolidate and deepen their grasp of French grammar from the point of view of French as a foreign language; (5) use a wider range of vocabulary and repertoire of speaking and writing skills by presenting exposés, translating, summarising, paraphrasing and re-writing; (6) improve their critical use of printed and web-based material in French; and (7) enhance a metalinguistic understanding of French and English. Students who pass this unit acquire a proficiency in writing and oral skills in French in the range of B2 and C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) student-led projects; (2) quiz and tests; and (3) participation and homework. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sabine Kuuse
- Unit rules
- FREN1406 French Studies 6
FREN1106 French Advanced II
- FREN2207 French Advanced III
- Contact hours
- language classes : 12 x 3 hours
- Unit Outline
- Semester 1_2019 [SEM-1_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.