FREN2408 French Studies 8
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the FRNHA French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This language unit consolidates the outcomes of FREN2407 French Studies 7. It furthers students' advanced level of proficiency in all aspects of language acquisition. It broadens students' translation skills, their appreciation of grammar, and syntactical and idiomatic usages from the point of view of French as a foreign language. The unit leads to FREN3409 French Studies 9.
- Students are able to (1) demonstrate an increased confidence orally and in writing at an advanced level of French; (2) integrate their language awareness with higher sociocultural knowledge by reading a full-length novel; (3) read/view and analyse texts/videos of advanced complexity relating to various general topics; (4) self-correct mistakes in grammar and syntax, and generally consolidate and deepen their grasp of French grammar from the point of view of French as a foreign language; (5) use a wider range of vocabulary and repertoire of speaking and writing skills by presenting exposés, translating, summarising, paraphrasing and re-writing; (6) improve their critical use of printed and web-based material in French; and (7) enhance a metalinguistic understanding of French and English. Students who pass this unit acquire a proficiency in writing and oral skills in French at Level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) student-led projects/exposés; (2) compostions/summaries; (3) in-class tests; (4) grammar exercises; and (5) participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sabine Kuuse
- Unit rules
- FREN2407 French Studies 7
FREN2207 French Advanced III
- FREN2208 French Advanced IV
- Contact hours
- language classes: 12 x 3 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.