FREN3406 French Studies 6
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 3 core unit in the FRNHB French Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 3 elective
- This language unit is designed for students who have completed FREN3405 French Studies 5. It furthers its outcomes by consolidating and expanding more fundamentals of French grammar and syntax. It creates numerous opportunities for a deeper understanding of French as a foreign language, such as contacts with the French communities and collaborative projects. Students expand their cultural and language awareness by reading and engaging with a full-length novel chosen for its cultural and literary merits. The unit completes the language sequence for students who started French as beginners. It contributes to achieving the French major's general outcomes of understanding self and others, research and communication.
- Students are able to (1) build on prior knowledge of French language and culture; (2) extend written and oral expression in French in the classroom and authentic settings; (3) consolidate pronunciation and reading skills; (4) analyse and imitate models of written and oral communication dealing with day-to-day topics; (5) practise using audiovisual and internet resources in class and independently; (6) reinforce their discipline about learning a foreign language by regular homework and preparations; and (7) enhance a metalinguistic understanding of French and English. Students who pass this unit acquire an advanced proficiency in writing and oral skills in French in the range of Levels B1 and B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) online quiz and student-led projects; (2) in-class tests; and (3) participation. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Sabine Kuuse
- Unit rules
- FREN3405 French Studies 5
FREN3305 French Advanced I
- FREN3306 French Advanced II
- Contact hours
- language classes: 12 x 3 hours
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available via the Booktopia Textbook Finder, which has the functionality to search by course code, course, ISBN and title, and may also be posted or available at the appropriate school's administrative offices. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.