There are now 2 possible online modes for units:
Units with modes Online timetabled and Online flexible are available for any student to self-enrol and study online.
Click on an offering mode for more details.
This unit offers an introduction to German grammar and vocabulary to enable students to communicate orally and in writing in simple situations. It develops cultural and linguistic awareness and focuses on contemporary spoken and written language used in German-speaking countries, using authentic texts to introduce students to German culture and society.
Students achieve language proficiency equivalent to Level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Gemeinsamer Europaischer Referenzrahmen).
The unit leads to GRMN1402 German Studies 2. Together, GRMN1401 and GRMN1402 provide access to Level 2 and 3 German units, which not only increase language competency but offer the opportunity to further engage with German history and culture (including literature, film, music and science) and to take advantage of a range of exchange possibilities, including our short-term Stuttgart Winter University program.
- 6 points
Availability Location Mode Semester 1 UWA (Perth) Face to face Semester 2 UWA (Perth) Face to face
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 1 core unit in the GRMNB German Studies major sequence
- Level 1 elective
Students are able to (1) develop elementary skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in the German language; (2) be familiar with sociolinguistic conventions in German; (3) have an elementary knowledge of culture and society in German-speaking countries; (4) develop independent learning skills and interpersonal skills; and (5) have an increased awareness of language and language use, in both German and English.
Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) short tests; (2) oral tasks; and (3) an end-of-semester examination. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Student may be offered supplementary assessment in this unit if they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Associate Professor Kati Tonkin
- Unit rules
- WACE German: GER2A/2B or higher, GRMN1101 German Beginners I
- Contact hours
- This unit is available both on campus and to students studying fully online. Each week all students work through one hour of online material (approx.) and attend three hours of interactive language classes (1 x 1-hour language class and 1 x 2-hour language class).
Students do not need to purchase any texts for this unit. All materials will be provided via the LMS.
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Unit readings, including any essential textbooks, are listed in the unit outline for each unit, one week prior the commencement of study. The unit outline will be available via the LMS and the UWA Handbook one week prior the commencement of study. Reading lists and essential textbooks are subject to change each semester. Information on essential textbooks will also be made available on the Essential Textbooks. This website is updated regularly in the lead up to semester so content may change. It is recommended that students purchase essential textbooks for convenience due to the frequency with which they will be required during the unit. A limited number of textbooks will be made available from the Library in print and will also be made available online wherever possible. Essential textbooks can be purchased from the commercial vendors to secure the best deal. The Student Guild can provide assistance on where to purchase books if required. Books can be purchased second hand at the Guild Secondhand bookshop (second floor, Guild Village), which is located on campus.
- Contact hours provide an indication of the type and extent of in-class activities this unit may contain. The total amount of student work (including contact hours, assessment time, and self-study) will approximate 150 hours per 6 credit points.
Face to face
Predominantly face-to-face. On campus attendance required to complete this unit. May have accompanying resources online.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit is asynchronous delivery, with NO requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
100% Online Unit. NO campus face-to-face attendance is required to complete this unit. All study requirements are online only. Unit includes some synchronous components, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times.
Not available for self-enrolment. Students access this mode by contacting their student office through AskUWA. 100% Online Unit.
NO campus face-to-face attendance. All study and assessment requirements are online only. Unit includes some timetabled activities, with a requirement for students to participate online at specific times. In exceptional cases (noted in the Handbook) students may be required to participate in face-to-face laboratory classes when a return to UWA’s Crawley campus becomes possible in order to be awarded a final grade.
No attendance or regular contact is required, and all study requirements are completed either via correspondence and/or online submission.
Regular attendance is not required, but student attends the institution face to face on an agreed schedule for purposes of supervision and/or instruction.
Multiple modes of delivery. Unit includes a mix of online and on-campus study requirements. On campus attendance for some activities is required to complete this unit.