GRMN2406 German Studies 6
- 6 points
|Semester 2||UWA (Perth)||Face to face|
- Details for undergraduate courses
- Level 2 core unit in the GRMNI German Studies major sequence
- The area of knowledge for this unit is Society and Culture
- Category A broadening unit for Bachelor of Arts students where relevant according to the broadening requirements for each student
- Level 2 elective
- This unit integrates speaking, reading and writing, aural comprehension, grammar and syntax, with materials drawn from German literary, social and cultural history. Utilising methods from visual history and German cultural studies, and focusing on the analysis of historical images and the study as well as discussion of selected texts, students are introduced to central issues in twentieth-century German speaking societies. All classes are conducted in German only. The workshop focuses on further reading, understanding and discussion of German history, literature and culture through the study of films and texts.
Students gain an increased level of competency in all four macro skills—listening to, speaking, reading and writing German corresponding to proficiency Levels B1/B2 and upwards of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Gemeinsamer Europaischer Referenzrahmen). Students develop an increased awareness of intercultural understanding and of language learning, as well as research skills and communication strategies and increased awareness of how languages work in general.
- Students are able to (1) gain an increased level of competency in all four macro skills—listening to, speaking, reading and writing German corresponding to proficiency Levels B1/B2 and upwards of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Gemeinsamer Europaischer Referenzrahmen) and (2) develop an increased awareness of intercultural understanding and of language learning, as well as research skills and communication strategies.
- Indicative assessments in this unit are as follows: (1) in-class tests; (2) written assignments; and (3) oral tasks. Further information is available in the unit outline.
Supplementary assessment is not available in this unit except in the case of a bachelor's pass degree student who has obtained a mark of 45 to 49 overall and is currently enrolled in this unit, and it is the only remaining unit that the student must pass in order to complete their course.
- Unit Coordinator(s)
- Professor Alexandra Ludewig
- Unit rules
- GRMN2405 German Studies 5
GRMN2205 German Advanced I
- GRMN2206 German Advanced II
- Contact hours
- Seminar: 2 hours per week
- Unit Outline
- Semester 2_2019 [SEM-2_2019]
- The availability of units in Semester 1, 2, etc. was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.
- All students are responsible for identifying when they need assistance to improve their academic learning, research, English language and numeracy skills; seeking out the services and resources available to help them; and applying what they learn. Students are encouraged to register for free online support through GETSmart; to help themselves to the extensive range of resources on UWA's STUDYSmarter website; and to participate in WRITESmart and (ma+hs)Smart drop-ins and workshops.
- Books and other material wherever listed may be subject to change. Book lists relating to 'Preliminary reading', 'Recommended reading' and 'Textbooks' are, in most cases, available at the University Co-operative Bookshop (from early January) and appropriate administrative offices for students to consult. Where texts are listed in the unit description above, an asterisk (*) indicates that the book is available in paperback.